Sunday, September 28, 2008

Skating, Soccer, Seafood and Scrapbooking...

As we get to know our new hometown of Pensacola, were are trying to experience a little of everything. We already have some favorite restaurants, beaches and movie theaters.

I drove by the local skating rink and my youth shouted out to me that I just had to go. And introducing Xan to skating was a good reason to cave in to the whiney little voice of my inner 8-year-old. When I was in elementary school, we had Skate Nights to raise money for PTA at least once a month and I always went. I was so bummed when our local skating rink closed.

When I saw that Pensacola had a skating rink, I thought it would be a fun thing for all four of us to do. I called and it turned out that they have open skate nights on Wednesdays, as well as throughout the weekend. With Xan just starting to skate, I thought a Wednesday night might be quieter for him to get used to the idea. It cost us each $3.50 to skate for up to four hours, way cheaper than the movies! And better exercise! What a deal! We got there and noticed there weren't any cars in the parking lot, but the sign said OPEN, so in we went. Not only did we get to skate, we had the WHOLE rink to ourselves! Apparently this is their slow season, since the weather is so beautiful right now and school is in session.

We had a great time, even Xan, who, as usual with new experiences, cried for the first 15 minutes. He got little skates where only the front wheels rolled, so he stepped more than skated. By the end of the session, he was having fun and requested "roll 'kates." So, we'll work on getting some rolling skates next time. Despite the earlier crying, Xan had fun playing "tag" with us and "yiked" skating. Will started playing roller hockey at 3, so he was quite at home on his skates and keeps asking "When can we go skating again?" How about next Wednesday?

As I am sure it is with many families this time of year, Saturday is filled with soccer.



Will had soccer team pictures and a game in the morning. I finally got to see him score a goal. I keep missing them. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera ready, yet, since I had just gotten to the field, so no picture of it - a scrappers nightmare! The weather got hot fast and the kids were looking a little wilted by the last quarter of the game. To combat the lethargy, Will scooped some ice out of the team ice chest and but it on the back of his head. I wonder if that really works. I might have to try it. Xan was busy on the sidelines playing with his hat and beads. That is one kid who can stay busy with the cheapest of toys.

The lovebugs, as they call them here, are thick right now. They were all over the place at the game. The good thing is that they don't bite.

After nap time, we headed to the annual Pensacola Seafood Festival. I think nearly all of Pensacola showed up. It was crowded, but the food smelled great, the vendors were fun to shop and the live music was good. There was even a kid section where Will and Xan got to slide, throw and fish to the hearts' content. Will got these Dracula teeth at the end of his fishing line.




We, of course ate seafood from the vendors there. Well, at least Rodney and I did. The boys preferred corndogs. Rodney had the fried calamari basket. I went with something a little more healthy: Beef and shrimp kabobs. Very tasty.


After supper, the boys found bow and arrow sets they just had to have. They will take them when they go with Daddy practice their bow hunting skills in a nearby empty lot. (Again, don't ask...) Next year's Seafood Festival promises to be even better since Pensacola will be celebrating its 450th anniversary of its founding. Wow!

Once we got home and the boys were bathed, Will "scrapbooked" on his desk for awhile. Xan made room alongside him, using Will's computer's CPU as the table.


That's right: Start 'em scrapping young and keep our hobby alive for years to come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun!!!! It looks like you guys had a great time :) My nephews are at that age where you can do anything with them and they adore it. I have been having a great time. Have to take advantage of it since I do not know how long they will be here since they are military also and I am sure they will be moving sometime soon :(

Tanya

Jennifer Priest said...

Oh my goodness -- what fun you are having with your family. Jessica, you so know how to get the most out of life--wow! Thanks for sharing all the pics and fun.