Thursday, May 23, 2013

Embarking on a new career path...

A self-portrait I took in the mirror this morning.
Actually, it's kind of an old career path, but one I'm resurrecting. I've decided to become a "lifestyle" photographer while I am here in Iwakuni, fulfilling a need the community has for additional photographers. One of the most popular and respected photographers, Danielle Caceres is leaving the area. She's the one who did my pin-up photo session, so if you've seen those photos, you know how talented she is. She is moving out of the area (like all military spouses do eventually) and I had the chance to speak with her when I had my post-pinup photo session meeting with her a few weeks ago. Long story short, she inspired me to dust off my bachelor's degree in photojournalism and hone my Photoshop skills.

I have always had a passion for photography, (you can read about how that started here) which led to my passion for scrapbooking and memory projects. Of course, over the years "real" jobs, work towards a master's degree and family obligations limited the amount of time I had to devote to the craft that professional photography requires. But, with the 9-to-5 jobs dispensed of, and the master's degree earned, I have found that I have the time to do something about that latent passion.

I've discovered that photography skills are a lot like riding a bike... once you start up again, much of what you have learned comes rushing back to you. And, you also realize that you want to upgrade your bike... or camera, lenses, computers, etc. I already have a list going, much to the spouse's disbelief.

So, I invite you to "like" my Facebook page, and to check out my website, jessicaguthriephotography.com. I'm still creating memory projects and teaching classes here... and I think "photographer" is a natural addition to my repertoire of activities in Japan. I am looking forward to working with the families here and helping them to capture the memories of their time in Japan.

No comments: