Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tick tock, tick tock ...

... why not give the gift of a handmade clock? I have spent the past couple of days working on these, and hopefully my husband's family will not see this blog anytime soon, but I just couldn't resist showing these off! I love them!

I took 12 x 12 acrylic panels and used my Crop-a-dile Big Bite to punch holes in the center of the panels. The clock mechanisms are available at JoAnn's, Michaels and Hobby Lobby ... I know this because I went to each store with my 40 percent off coupon to get them. They are regularly priced between $6.99 and $9.99.

Now, I can't take credit for the idea: There was a lady (if you are reading this, I am so sorry I can't remember your name!) at the San Diego Scrapbook Expo who desperately wanted an acrylic clock kit. While this is not a kit (yet!) I thought these might inspire others to create unique, personalized, affordable gifts. Plus, I am looking forward to giving it a shot with the metal panels, too! Here's a few tips if you're thinking of attacking a project like this:

Aunt Sam's clock features photos of her three granddaughters, and her favorite color is blue, so I went with a blue floral theme. I used acrylic paint dabbers and foam stamps to stamp flower images on the front of the acrylic panel. I dabbed Stickles on some of the flowers and then used Distress Ink on the scalloped-edge paper to give it dimension. To protect the acrylic, I peeled the blue protective film off one side of the acrylic, the one I was working on, so the back side remained unscratched when I worked on it. Be sure to peel the blue film off the second side before you attach the clock mechanism.

I don't have a high-quality image of Aunt Brenda's grandson, so I thought I'd create the clock and then let her choose which photo she wants to glue to the clock later. Her favorite color is red, but I didn't want it to be too overpowering. I used my Curvy Cutter to cut a circle out of the center of the 12 x 12 paper, used Antique Brass Glimmer Mist to give the paper a light sheen and then took my favorite flourish stamp and stamped across the backside of the acrylic panel with black Staz-On ink. By the way, be sure to use a battery and check to make sure the clock mechanism is working before you give the clock away as a gift. I did have one clock mechanism not work properly (but others of the same brand were just fine.)

Aunt Vicky loves pink and I just love this photo of her and Uncle Earl dancing at a wedding last summer. I thought this clock would be just the thing to display it. I, again, used my favorite flourish stamp, but with white opaque Staz-On ink this time, and then just dotted Star Dust Stickles where the flourish design was dotted. Prima flowers and a variety of bling brads helped with the romantic motif. When punching or drilling the hole for the clock mechanism, you will need either a 3.8-inch drill bit (be careful!) or the Crop-a-dile Big Bite, with the 6-inch reach. Since the Big Bite's punch is not a large enough circle, make several punches very close together, almost shaving away the edges slowly. Keep testing the mechanism in the hole you've made because you don't want the hole to be too big, so the mechanism itself spins in the hole.

Of course, smaller panels can be used and smaller mechanisms are available. So, let your imagination run wild!

9 comments:

Kathi L. said...

Love it. So cute...what an awesome idea. I see them flying off the walls at next years EXPO's.

Trace Geworsky said...

Girl..you are on fire!!! That is a brilliant idea!!!! I love it.

Anonymous said...

You are too fabulous for words - they are such beautiful gifts, so personalized to each person - can't wait to try one!

Jenn Christman said...

I have so been wanting to do this with acrylic or metal for months and haven't done it yet. I have the stuff but have been working on other things. They came out so good!!! No I can't wait to do mine. YOU ROCK!

matts_mom_shari said...

these are great, jessica!!! :)
i made 2 clocks with 12x12 metal panels for gifts...i could kick myself that i didn't take any pictures!!! i was just too excited to mail them!!! LOL! :)
i already bought plain wood ones, but, i think i'll try an acrylic one next! :) TFS!!! :)
shari :)
__________________________________
www.ShariSuzuki.typepad.com

melle said...

Hello from Germany!
I love your clocks, they are so fabolous! The third one is my favorite!

Greetings - Melanie

echowein said...

These are so cute!

Krista Nash said...

that is an awesome idea. I think I may actually try this for my husband to take to work with him. Thanks. You do beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

the idea is great! I don't see a way to display them however.......if you hang them on the wall the clock works would hit the wall so do you have a way to either hang them or stand them up?